A data controller is an individual or an organisation who collects, stores and processes any data about living people on computer or in manual form.
The data controller for the Department’s Head Office is Aisling Brennan, Freedom of Information Unit, Department of Justice and Equality, 51 St. Stephen's Green, Dublin 2.
Some specific areas of Justice have their own data controllers. These include the following:
- Commissioner of An Garda Síochána
- Courts Service
- Criminal Injuries Compensation Tribunal
- Director General of the Irish Prison Service
- Film Censor’s Office
- Financial Shared Services
- Forensic Science Laboratory
- Garda Complaints Board
- Legal Aid Board
- Private Security Authority
- Property Registration Authority
- Refugee Appeals Tribunal
- Refugee Applications Commissioner
The contact details for these controllers are available in Public Registry stored on the Data Protection website.