The role of Secretary General
Oonagh McPhillips is our Secretary General (acting).
The Secretary General is the senior civil servant and non-political head of the Department. Her job is day-to-day management and non-political strategic planning and direction.
The Secretary General is the Accounting Officer. She is responsible for safeguarding the funds under the control of the Department and for ensuring economy and efficiency in the running of the Department.
The role of Deputy Secretary General - Vacant
The responsibilities of the Deputy Secretary General includes the criminal justice system, overseeing the aspects of the Department’s work which directly impacts on this system.
Management Board's role
The Management Board has an important and central role in leading, directing and governing the Department of Justice and Equality and the wider justice and equality sector.
The purpose of the Management Board is to provide strategic leadership, vision and direction to the Department’s staff and agencies; operating as a trusted advisor to the Minister; and ensuring effective and robust governance and oversight leading to a safer, fairer and more inclusive Ireland in which to live, work and do business.
Management Board members are:
- Oonagh McPhillips, Secretary General (Acting)
- Michael Donnellan, Director General, Irish Prison Service
- Michael Flahive, Assistant Secretary, Criminal Law Reform
- James Martin, Assistant Secretary, Prisons, Probation and International Policy
- Conan McKenna, Assistant Secretary, Civil Law Reform and Courts Policy
- John O’Callaghan, Assistant Secretary, Policing
- Carol Baxter, Assistant Secretary, Head of Asylum Services, Integration and Equality
- Peter Mullan, Assistant Secretary, Crime and Security
- Doncha O'Sullivan, Assistant Secretary, Corporate Services
- Michael Kirrane, Director General, Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
- Vivian Geiran, Director, Probation Service
- Marion Walsh, Director of Cosc and Victims of Crime Offices and Crime (Firearms, Explosives and Private Security policy)
- Richard Fallon, Principal Officer, Civil Law Reform
- Patrick Forsyth, Principal Officer, Head of Communications & Corporate Secretariat
- Martina Colville, Principal Officer, Human Resources
- Eileen Leahy, Principal Officer, Corporate Services
- Yvonne Furey, Principal Officer, Reform and Development
Responsibilities of the Management Board:
Providing leadership and strategic direction to the Department of Justice and Equality and the justice and equality sector generally, consistent with the Department’s culture and values
Developing, promoting and overseeing the implementation of major policies and programmes in line with the Department’s strategic objectives
Providing leadership and support to the staff of the Department
Providing quality, coordinated and timely advice on strategic matters affecting the Department to the Minister, Ministers of State and the Government
Providing appropriate leadership, oversight, management and review of the Department’s Strategy Statements and Business Plans and activities, and as appropriate, of the relevant sector-wide activities
Monitoring performance against corporate plans, budgets and targets
Providing oversight of the strategic management and distribution of the Department’s resources, prioritising resources where they are needed most
Leading and overseeing the process of change, encouraging innovation, to enhance the Department’s capacity to meet current and future needs
Ensuring that an appropriate governance framework is in place for the Department and the sector, in particular
- to assist the Secretary General in discharging his Accounting Officer functions
- to ensure that the Department operates within its defined boundaries to an agreed and acceptable degree of risk and a reasonable assurance that all material financial and regulatory requirements are being met
- to ensure that effective governance and accountability arrangements are in place between the Department and its agencies and bodies.