At a ceremony in Dublin today the Minister for Disability, Equality and Mental Health, Kathleen Lynch TD, and the Northern Ireland Justice Minister David Ford, MLA presented prizes to the winners of a photography and video competition held for third level students throughout Ireland to raise awareness of the issue of human trafficking.

The idea of the competition was to encourage third level students to become aware of the issue of human trafficking and to consider what it really means, while at the same time showcasing their huge creative talents. Entrants were asked to research human trafficking and present their understanding of the issue via a photograph or short video. Entries were then judged by an independent panel comprising Ms Amanda Byram, TV Presenter and Spokesperson for the anti-trafficking organisation Love 146; Irish Artist Colin Martin from the Royal Hibernian Academy and Journalist Eamonn Mallie.

Judges’ marks accounted for 80% of the overall marks for each entry with the remaining 20% decided by members of the public through Facebook where they voted on the 12 short-listed entries. The prize winners in each category were:-

Video:

1st Tony Farrelly Institute of Technology, Blanchardstown

2nd Fergal Murphy Institute of Technology, Blanchardstown

3rd John Hyland Institute of Technology, Blanchardstown

Photography:

1st Patrick Hughes Athlone Institute of Technology

2nd Nathan Cafolla Athlone Institute of Technology

3rd Alison Metoudi Queens University

Speaking at the ceremony today Minister Lynch said "Trafficking of human beings for sexual and/or labour exploitation or the removal of organs is a heinous crime that has no place on the island of Ireland. I would like to congratulate all those who took part in this competition and in particular the winners in each category. The standard of entries in the competition was exceptionally high and showed a great understanding among students of the issues surrounding human trafficking. It is so important that everyone, including the youth in society today, is aware of what human trafficking is and can take action by reporting their suspicions to the authorities." 

Justice Minister David Ford said "The competition provided a great opportunity for my Department and the Department of Justice and Equality to tap into the energy, enthusiasm and ideas that third level students have on this issue. I am impressed by the creativity displayed and believe that the innovative videos and photos produced will help to raise awareness of human trafficking, especially amongst the student population.

Like Minister Lynch I would like to thank everyone who submitted an entry to the competition and offer my congratulations to those who were short-listed and to those who are receiving an award this evening."

Members of the public can report suspicions of human trafficking anonymously to the Garda Síochána through Crimestoppers at 1 800 25 00 25 or via a dedicated email blueblindfold@garda.ie. Anyone with suspicions of human trafficking in Northern Ireland can report their concerns anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

18 December 2012

ENDS

 

 

Note for Editors:

The joint human trafficking photography & video competition was launched to coincide with EU Anti-Trafficking Day on 18 October, 2012.

The prize awarded in each category was as follows:

1st prize €1,000

2nd prize €500

3rd prize € 250

The twelve short-listed entries can be viewed on both the AHTU’s Facebook page and the OCTF’s Facebook page.

The title of the Facebook pages are:

Anti Human Trafficking Unit Ireland

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Anti-Human-Trafficking-Unit-Ireland/305656599447325 

Organised Crime Task Force Northern Ireland www.facebook.com/pages/OCTF/136184833076303