Minister McEntee and Minister O’Gorman announce 2020 LGBTI+ Community Services Funding Call
- €700,000 will be made available to support community services for LGBTI+ people.
- Funding aims to promote inclusion, protect rights and to improve quality of life and wellbeing for LGBTI+ people in Ireland
- Grant scheme is open to applications from existing LGBTI+ non-government organisations and community organisations working with LGBTI+ people.
17 July 2020
€700,000 is being made available to applicant groups, operating at national, regional and local level, to support community services and promote visibility and inclusion of LGBTI+ people.
The Minister for Justice & Equality, Helen McEntee TD, and the Minister for Children, Disability, Equality and Integration, Roderic O’Gorman TD, have today announced that applications can now be made for funding from the LGBTI+ Community Services fund.
The 2020 LGBTI+ Community Services Funding Call is an important element in supporting the implementation of the National LGBTI+ Inclusion Strategy, which was published on 28 November 2019, and complements the National LGBTI+ Youth Strategy published in June 2018.
Announcing the fund, Minister McEntee said,
“My Department aims to build a safer, fairer, more inclusive Ireland. The National LGBTI+ inclusion strategy is a major step forward for the LGBTI+ community – young and old, urban and rural. My hope is the new funding being announced today will improve access to services for LGBTI+ people, irrespective of their age or where they live.”
Key actions for Government Departments and agencies in the justice and equality sector include an increase in the funding and capacity of LGBTI+ community services, as well as measures to ensure that community development infrastructure more broadly is both inclusive and welcoming to LGBTI+ people.
Minister O’Gorman added,
“Supporting the LGBTI+ community is a key goal for my Department. The funding announced today recognises the need for access to LGBTI+ services right across Ireland. It will help improve quality of life for LGBTI+ people and ensure they are supported in realising their rights.”
Additional funding of €700,000 was secured in the Justice and Equality budgetary allocation for 2020 to support equality and LGBTI+ initiatives, bringing the total funding available to over €900,000 in 2020.
There are two streams of funding, and applications must be submitted electronically.
Groups can access a detailed guidance document and complete an online application form at the following links:
Notes to Editor
Applications for Funding will be assessed according to the following criteria:
• Strategic fit and achieving the goals of the Scheme, including how the proposed project would benefit LGBTI+ people in rural areas
• Strength of proposal, including how the planned activities will improve services and meet the current unmet needs of the LGBTI+ community.
• Financial management and value for money