Minister McEntee publishes the Probation Service Annual Report 2019
5 August 2020
The Minister for Justice and Equality, Helen McEntee T.D., has today welcomed the publication of the Probation Service Annual Report 2019.
In launching the Report, the Minister said,
“The Probation Service is an important agency of the Department of Justice and Equality, committed to achieving the high-level goals of the Department in working to reduce crime levels through offender rehabilitation, with a view to creating safer communities and fewer victims.”
The Probation Service Annual Report for 2019 sets out the work and Performance of the Service during 2019 against the key objectives and priorities contained the Probation Service’s Strategic Plan 2018 – 2020.
The Report sets out the range of targeted interventions and programmes, which enables the Probation Service to remain effective and responsive to new and emerging needs.
The Minister noted,
“During 2019 the Probation Service made excellent progress on its’ strategic commitments across all aspects of the organisation. In 2019, 16,607 offenders were referred from the Courts nationwide and dealt with in the community. Over 12,500 Probation Reports and over 3,500 Community Service Assessments were completed. The 2,791 Community Service Orders for 2019 totals 379,815 hours work in lieu of 1,247 years in prison. This equates to over €3.5 million worth of unpaid work for the benefit of communities nationwide.”
The Minister concluded,
“Interagency co-operation and collaboration between the Probation Service and other criminal justice partners, has made a significant contribution in 2019 in making our streets, homes, businesses and communities more secure.”
Note for editors
A copy of the Probation Service Annual Report for 2019 is available at http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Probation_Service_Annual_Report_2019.pdf/Files/Probation_Service_Annual_Report_2019.pdf.
Key statistics from Probation Service Annual Report
- In 2019, the Probation Service dealt with 16,607 offenders in the community and 2,689 offenders in prison.
- The Probation Service completed over 12,500 Probation Assessment Reports and over 3500 Community Service Assessment Reports.
- There were 2,791 Community Service Orders made in 2019 compared with 2,499 Community Service Orders made in 2018.
- The 2,791 Community Service Orders for 2019 totals 379,815 hours work in lieu of 1,247 years in prison. This equates to over €3.5 million worth of unpaid work for the benefit of communities nationwide.
- 16.2% (1,716) of new referrals were female in 2019.
The Probation Service supervised 581 young persons in 2019