Weekly Round-Up January 25th - 29th
Every week, we bring you the top news stories of the week from the Department of Justice and Equality. Catch up on what you might have missed here. Click on the 'Read More' link in each story to learn more. For previous editions click here.
On 28th of January, the Policing Authority had their first meeting.
NINE MEMBERS OF THE NEW POLICING AUTHORITY: L-R is Dr. Moling Ryan, Maureen Lynott, Patrick Costello, Judith Gillespie, Josephine Feehily, Valerie Judge, Bob Collins, Dr. Vicky Conway, and Noel Brett.
The core function of the Authority will be to oversee the performance by the Garda Síochána of its functions in relation to policing services.
Its other functions include:
- approving Garda strategy statements and annual policing plans,
- setting priorities and performance targets for the Garda Síochána, and
- making appointments to senior Garda ranks.
PRESENTATION OF ESTABLISHMENT ORDER FOR THE POLICING AUTHORITY: Minister Fitzgerald presented the Chairperson Josephine Feehily with a framed and signed copy of the Establishment Order for the Policing Authority.
- Bankruptcy legislation commenced - On 29th of January, Minister Fitzgerald commences bankruptcy legislation introducing a 1 year bankruptcy term. Read more
- Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Bill 2015 - On 28th of January, Minister Fitzgerald made a Second Stage Speech on Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Bill 2015. Read more
- Paternity Leave - On 26th of January Government approves legislative amendments required to introduce Paternity Leave to allow for the introduction of 2 weeks paternity leave, as from September 2016. Read more
Garda Fixed Charge Processing System
On 28th of January, the First Report of the Independent Oversight Authority for the Garda Fixed Charge Processing System Cancellation Policy was published. Read more
An update on the Department’s Programme for Change
On 25th of January, the Department produced a summary update on the Department of Justice and Equality's progress on its Programme for Change. Read more
Informal Justice Home Affairs
On 25th of January Minister Fitzgerald was in Amsterdam to attend the Informal Justice and Home Affairs meeting. More information about the agenda and the outcome of this meeting is available on the EU presidency website.