174. Deputy Tony McLoughlin asked the Minister for Justice and Equality if a person (details supplied) in Dublin 2 will be considered for a transfer to a similarly qualified position within her Department in counties Leitrim or Longford, if an opportunity arises in the near future; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [35499/15]
Minister for Justice and Equality (Deputy Frances Fitzgerald): While it is not practice to comment on individual cases, I can inform the Deputy that all applications for staff transfer requests are managed by the Human Resources Division of my Department. This division manage a very substantial number of staff transfers across my Department and other Civil Service Departments and Offices each year.
I have set out information below on how staff of my Department can seek transfers which may be of assistance to the Deputy.
The main avenues that staff can follow if they are seeking a transfer are as follows:
- Staff can submit a formal request to Human Resources Division for a transfer within the Department.
- Staff can submit a formal request to Human Resources Division for a transfer to a specific location. Such requests are forwarded to all Civil Service Departments with offices in the location.
- Staff can respond to requests from Human Resources Division for expressions of interest for specific posts.
- Staff can seek to identify a head to head transfer with other staff of the same grade across the Civil Service. In such cases both Departments must be satisfied as to the suitability of the transferees, with particular reference to their respective performance and attendance records.
I wish to advise the Deputy that where possible my Department will facilitate such transfer requests however the priority will always be to maintain a balanced and appropriate level of staff resources in priority areas and to match people with the most relevant skills to the requirements of posts.