175. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Justice if the permanent relationship between persons (details supplied) will be recognised as a basis for naturalisation in the case of one of the persons; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [26790/21]


Minister of State at the Department of Justice (Deputy James Browne): My Department has no record of the person referred to by the Deputy or of having received an immigration application on their behalf.
If a person is in the State without an immigration permission they must engage with the authorities if they wish to be permitted to remain here legally. Therefore, I would encourage them to contact the Immigration Service of my Department or their local immigration office and to take all appropriate steps to regularise their status.
In order to allow for a full examination of the person's circumstances, they should write directly to Unit 2, Residence Division, Immigration Service, 13-14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2, DO2 XK70. They should outline if they have had a previous permission to reside in the State, their current circumstances and future intentions in the State and provide any documentation they feel will support their case.
Queries in relation to the status of individual immigration cases may be made directly to my Department by e-mail using the Oireachtas mail facility (, which has been specifically established for this purpose. This service enables up-to-date information on such cases to be obtained without the need to seek information by way of the parliamentary questions process. The Deputy may consider using the e-mail service except in cases where the response is, in the Deputy’s view, inadequate or too long awaited.