1477. Deputy Kathleen Funchion asked the Minister for Justice if she will intervene in the case of a family (details supplied) looking to relocate to County Carlow in order for a family member to undertake study at Carlow IT. [20139/21]


Minister for Justice (Deputy Helen McEntee): The Immigration Service of my Department has no record of any pending application from the person referred to by the Deputy.
In general, students have no rights to family reunification and will not be permitted to be accompanied or joined by their children or their spouse/civil partner or defacto partner. Any spouse, civil partner, defacto partner or children will be considered as applicants in their own right, and can make an application for an immigration permission. However, they cannot advance their application for entry or residence in the state on the basis of their relationship to the main student /applicant.
Any non-EEA national coming to study in Ireland must be enrolled in a full-time course on the Interim List of Eligible Programmes (ILEP). This list is available on the Immigration Service website at: .
The person concerned should check whether or not the course they wish to study is on the ILEP list, as student permission can only be granted where a person has enrolled on and commenced a course on that list.
Further information on studying in Ireland, including a number of policy documents for non-EEA national students is available at:
Queries in relation to the status of individual immigration cases may be made directly to my Department by e-mail using the Oireachtas Mail facility ( which has been specifically established for this purpose. This service enables up to date information on such cases to be obtained without the need to seek information by way of the Parliamentary Questions process. The Deputy may consider using the e-mail service except in cases where the response from my Department is, in the Deputy’s view, inadequate or too long awaited.