146. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Justice and Equality if a person (details supplied) can join their parent by way of a work permit or an alternative; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [22438/19]


Minister for Justice and Equality (Deputy Charles Flanagan): Detailed information on the circumstances in which an Irish citizen can seek to sponsor a non-EEA national family member to join and reside with them in the State is contained in the INIS Policy Document on Non-EEA Family Reunification. This information can be accessed on the INIS website at
I am further informed that if the person concerned is a visa required national they must seek the appropriate visa for their circumstances. Each visa application is considered on its individual merits with the Visa Officer having regard to all of the information and documentation available. The onus rests at all times with the applicant to satisfy the Visa Officer that the particular visa sought should be granted. Guidelines on how to apply for particular types of visas are available on the INIS website a t
Information in relation to the criteria and application process relevant to employment permits is available on the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation website at
Queries in relation to the status of individual immigration cases may be made directly to the INIS of my Department by e-mail using the Oireachtas Mail facility which has been specifically established for this purpose. This service enables up to date information on such cases to be obtained without the need to seek information by way of the Parliamentary Questions process. The Deputy may consider using the e-mail service except in cases where the response from the INIS is, in the Deputy’s view, inadequate or too long awaited.