107. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Justice and Equality if a separate application for update of stamp 4 or application for naturalisation is more appropriate in the case of a person (details supplied) in Dublin 24; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [4187/15]


Minister for Justice and Equality (Deputy Frances Fitzgerald): I am informed by the Naturalisation Immigration Service (INIS) of my Department that the parents of the person concerned were granted permission to remain in the State in 2001 under the arrangements then in place for the non-EEA national parents of Irish born citizen children. The person concerned was granted permission to remain in the State for one year on a stamp 4 basis until 23 January, 2015. As her current permission to remain in the State has expired, she should apply for renewal of this permission with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB).
It will be open to the person concerned to apply to the Citizenship Section of my Department for a Certificate of Naturalisation when she is in a position to meet the lawful residency criteria applicable to the lodgement of such applications. Details on the criteria to be met by persons lodging such applications are available from my Department's Website (
Queries in relation to the status of individual immigration cases may be made directly to the INIS by e-mail using the Oireachtas Mail facility which has been specifically established for this purpose. This service enables up-to-date information on such cases to be obtained without the need to seek information by way of the Parliamentary Questions process. The Deputy may consider using the e-mail service except in cases where the response from the INIS is, in the Deputy's view, inadequate or too long awaited.