The Department monitors the progress of cases taken against the Garda Síochána relating to the following matters:
- claims which give rise to constitutional issues;
- claims concerning the actions of Garda members in the performance of their duties, such as wrongful arrest or unlawful search of premises.
Payments for the awards, settlements and legal costs of these legal actions are the responsibility of the Garda Commissioner and the Garda Press Office should be contacted for current information in this area.
Here are the details of Payments in respect of legal actions taken against the Garda Síochána, 2009 - 2018
The following cases against the Garda Síochána are handled by the State Claims Agency:
- non-malicious injuries to Garda members
- injuries to civilians on Garda premises
- legal actions taken by Gardaí
- legal actions arising from acts of omissions by the Garda Síochána
- traffic accidents involving Garda vehicles.